06 January 2012

The list, books 7-9

I need to start picking longer books. These 3 combined are going to get me 704 pages. Considering that two of the books in my first set of 3 have over 600 pages, plowing through 3 books and only getting 704 pages seems kind of disheartening, but it really shouldn't. A page is a page. It doesn't matter if I read a 10,000 page book, or a hundred 100 page books, it will all take the same time. But I do think that reading a bunch of shorter books would be faster than one long one, because I have the attention span of a juvenile wombat. And if you have ever tried to get one of those to pay attention to you more than five minutes you know it is a losing battle. Now, this set of three is all murder mysteries, which may make this a long stretch for me, because they honestly are not my favorite books, but maybe it will work for me.

7. Greenwich Killing Time - Kinky Friedman (166 pgs) When I lived in Lubbock, I had a friend call me from the cigar store he worked at to tell me Kinky Friedman was there. So I rushed over with my wife and a fellow named Stegall and got to meet him. And that encounter led to a phone call from a kind of annoyed dad that night to inform me that he saw "(me) and Kinky Friedman on the TV, with (our) arms around each other both holding big cigars." While we were there Kinky's sidekick Little Jewford told someone "Kinky will sign anything for ya" which of course made me want to go home and grab one of my Kinky books to get signed. The reason I didn't take one with me was because my friend who ran the cigar store told me that last time Kinky was in he was selling his new book, and I didn't want to be "that guy" who brings his old books to a book signing when the author is pushing his new one. So Stegall, Holly and I ran to a nearby book store to purchase Kinky books, took them back and got them signed. But this book isn't the one he signed for me. I read that one a long time ago. Which I know now makes this huge long story seem kind of useless and like a waste of time, but, eh, once I get started rambling... 7,226 pages to go.

8. Murder in the White House - Margaret Truman (235 pgs) I went to an auction one time and bought a box of books because it had a Jimmy Buffett book on the top (A Pirate Looks at Fifty), but every other book in the box was called Murder in (Some Washington, D.C. location). Apparently President Truman's daughter wrote a lot of books about people getting murdered in D.C., and I own them all. Yay. So I feel like I ought to give them a shot, because if I like them, I am set. So I Googled to see which one was written first and it is this one, so I am reading it first. 6,991 pages to go.

9. Dexter in the Dark - Jeff Lindsay (303 pgs) Got this in a bargain bin day after Christmas in 2010. I like the show so surely I will like the book. It does kind of bug me that I will be reading a book in a series without reading the first book, but I have seen all the TV shows, surely I will be able figure out what is going on. 6,688 pages to go.

Full list/running page count
1. Swine Not? - Jimmy Buffett; 256
2. Moby Dick; or The Whale - Herman Melville; 870
3. The Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule; 1,542 
4. Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said - Philip K. Dick; 1,773
5. Duma Key - Stephen King; 2,384
6. Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself - Alan Alda; 2,608 
7. Greenwich Killing Time - Kinky Friedman; 2,774
8. Murder in the White House - Margaret Truman; 3,009
9. Dexter in the Dark - Jeff Lindsay; 3,312
 

No comments:

Post a Comment